I'm experimenting in AR and Unity to familiarize myself with these new technologies. These are some demo's I've been working with as I get started.
I set out to create falling leaves for the season. Particle effect with a leaf texture.
Terrain & FPS Camera
Creating a terrain with a tree/shrub brush from "Nature Starter Kit 2" and added an FPS camera from "Standard Assets".
Unity + Xcode Test
Simple test project built in Unity, then opened and built in Xcode.
Getting it working
- File-> Build Settings
- Click iOS
- Click “Switch Platform” - this reimports all assets
- Click “Player Settings”
- IMPORTANT: do a “Development Build” so it’s not a Distribution Build. I'm able to develop without having to pay for an Apple Developers Account by using their free "Apple ID" account. This limits us to "Development Builds".
- Player Settings -> Other Settings -> Bundle Identifier
- Note that you can only use the project name once. So choose something you won’t want to use or publish later.
- Make sure Scripting Backend is “IL2CPP” which is the 64-bit newer iphones
- Target SDK - must be “Device SDK”, otherwise it’s a "Simulator build" and won't work on your phone.
Unity's ARKit Demos
A demo from Unity that allows you to pick a color and draw in your environment. Super cool effect.
ARKit Scene Demo
This ARKit demo shows the basic mapping and lets you place a cube by touching the screen.
A demo from Unity that lets you tap to place a ball. Tap again to push the ball (however the direction the ball travels is hard to control).